Quick, Safe Truck Scale Installation Reduces Downtime
With only seven days in which to install a new weighbridge, Heinz Frozen & Chilled Foods (UK) needed complete confidence in its chosen supplier. The company’s existing Avery Weigh-Tronix Truck Scale had performed reliably for forty years and had never caused production downtime. When the time came to replace the scale, Heinz chose to invest in the latest BridgeMont weighbridge technology.
77,000 Tonnes per annum
The new weighbridge had to be robust enough to weigh 77,000 tonnes of roasting potatoes each year. Heinz also needed to install and commission the scale during one of only two short shut down periods per year.
Avery Weigh-Tronix removed the old bridge, filled the old pit and cast new foundations, 60 feet further along the existing structure. Moving the scale’s position enables up to three vehicles to queue without obstructing the highway. Engineers then installed the surface-mounted deck, carried out testing and verification and had the new weighbridge operational in just six days, twenty-four hours ahead of schedule.
Safe working practices
Mandy Kerr, EHS Manager from Heinz Frozen & Chilled Foods said, “The cost and quality of the new installation were a key consideration, but Avery Weigh-Tronix’s safe working practices were equally important. After the quality of service that Avery Weigh-Tronix had given us over the years, it wasn’t a difficult decision. We were kept very well informed throughout the installation, which to a global company like Heinz is especially important.”
- Engineers installed the new weighbridge ahead of schedule – no production downtime, saving cost.
- Surface-mounted deck – gives the flexibility to relocate the weighbridge if required, with minimal expense.
- Vehicles have easier access to the new ‘bridge –reducing roadway congestion.
- The working area was the only vehicular access to the site – the engineers ensured that it remained open at all times.
- Bridgemont steel weighbridge features patented WeighBar® technology to ensure total reliability in all conditions.
- The simple foundations, bolt-down siting and innovative box construction mean a fast, economical installation.
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week –Avery Weigh-Tronix has a team of more than one hundred dedicated transport technicians for fast response and emergency repair when needed.